Among the many initiatives going into 2015, many companies are looking for ways to maximize their efforts to create a more healthy, earth-friendly environment. Conserving resources and doing our best not to be wasteful are two ways in which we can all contribute to the good of the earth. If you recycle plastic bottles or head to the grocery store with a reusable bag, you are already helping your environment thrive!
A wholesale food distributor was searching for a more environmentally friendly alternative to traditional wood pallets. The food distributor was hoping to find a pallet weighing less and cut their spend on shipping costs. Through process evaluation an alternative packaging method was uncovered: honeycomb paperboard pallets.
What is Honeycomb?
Honeycomb is an environmentally friendly, cost-effective, custom-engineered kraft paper material that can be used as void fill packaging, pallets, dunnage, and other packaging alternatives. It is constructed by the adjoining of individual bands of kraft paper together into a series of hexagonal cells, creating a product with considerable strength.
Honeycomb Packaging Advantages
Consider the following advantages honeycomb pallets bring to the packaging market:
- Honeycomb Paperboard Pallets weigh a great deal less than traditional wood pallets.
- Wood pallets can weigh up to 50 pounds, while Honeycomb Paperboard Pallets weigh roughly 18 pounds! That’s a 32 pound difference! If you calculate the numbers, you would be transporting 768 pounds less per truck load if you used Honeycomb Paperboard Pallets rather than tradition wood pallets.
- Easy to handle and do not splinter.
- Made of 100% paper, they are recyclable thus eliminating the cost of pallet exchange.
- Honeycomb Paperboard Pallets can be designed in four different varieties:
- Block Design
- Runner Design
- 4-way entry
- Bottom Sheet
Following their switch to Honeycomb Paperboard Pallets, the food distributor was extremely satisfied. Product damage from pallets was reduced by over 33% and they also reported a 22% cost savings in fuel for their delivery trucks. To find more information on innovative, eco-friendly packaging supplies, contact IPS Packaging and speak to a trained packaging specialist.
Case Study Highlights
The Problem: A wholesale food distributor was searching for a more environmentally friendly alternative to heavy, traditional wood pallets.
- Heavy, expensive wood pallets
- Not environmentally friendly
- Extremely high shipping costs
The Solution: Following their switch to Honeycomb Paperboard Pallets, the food distributor was extremely satisfied.
- Honeycomb paperboard pallets
- Lightweight, easy to handle, and splinter-free
- Product damage reduced by over 33%
- 22% cost savings in fuel