Consumer electronics manufacturer converts to IPS Packaging void fill system to gain performance, reduce costs
A leading manufacturer of consumer electronics had been using Ranpak table-top unit to create cushioning material at two replacement part facilities. The Ranpak units convert fan-folded paper into crumpled void-fill. The company had been spending $850,000/ year on the dunnage and felt they were paying too much. That prompted them to investigate inflatable, air cushioning systems.
The customer wanted a lower “in the box” cost. Analysis of air pillow benefits (cost, weight, freight) showed them that this was the way to go. The company also took a look at FP International and Automated Bag air pillow systems.
IPS Packaging suggested the use of a Pregis AirSpeed 5000 inflatable void-fill system.
- Quicker, more efficient packaging operation
- Improved air flow and work environment for employees
- Three overhead “dust collectors”
- Improved sustainability and biodegradability
Pregis’ Air Speed 5000 system is fast enough (80 to 90, 8- x 6-inch air pillows per minute) so that overhead bins are no longer necessary. By taking down the bins, the warehouse employees are now benefiting from improved air flow, more sunlight and three fewer overhead “dust collectors.” The installation was customized with a four foot transfer bin extender for each Air Speed 5000. That enables the packers to conveniently access the pillow pack and place it into the box without stretching or leaving the station.
The high performance low-density polyethylene air pillow film is made with up to 50% less resin than competitive inflatable void-fill products. It also contains a proprietary organic additive that accelerates microbial bio-degradation, without compromising recyclability.
The determination was made that Pregis material systems yielded superior performance coupled with cost benefits – 35 – 40% annual savings vs. the Ranpak system.
“The win was made possible because of a combination of equipment superiority (speed), material profile (less resin/biodegradable), and an improved working environment for employees.”
- Blazing speed: 75 feet per minute; no need for bulky storage dispensing systems
- Portable: No compressed air needed on this void fill packaging system
- Compact: Easily fits into any packaging operation, large or small
- Easy to operate: Load film and start machine
- Low maintenance: Minimal parts means fewer repairs
- Versatile: Single system produces void fill packaging of varied sizes
- Flexible: Adjust cushion fill pressure; measure chain length by feet
Total Packaging Cost Summary
- Material= 35 – 40% annual savings
- Freight = significant reduction