Companies are finding more and more ways to become eco-friendly by offering products that are recyclable or biodegradable and sustainable packaging. Sustainable packaging is one of those key things many consumers and businesses are looking for. Packaging companies are making recyclable packaging materials in an effort to help the environment while still producing a component that is strong and durable enough to keep products in mint condition during transit. Going green with packaging foam is one way to do just that!
Some of the benefits for recycled sheet foam packaging are
- Addressing end-user’s environmental concerns
- Lessens dependence on virgin raw materials
- Provides superb cushioning and energy absorption
- Easy to use and reuse
- Customers receive the same quality product they love, while positively impacting the environment
Below is a case study on eco-friendly, recycled sheet foam packaging. Recycled sheet foam provides high cushioning, compression strength, flexibility, and resilience. This state-of-the-art product is a great packaging option for any company wanting to go green.
Case Study #1
In this case study, we will be discussing a company that made industrial shipping cases that were used in electronics, aerospace, and the military. They needed to improve their foam recyclability efforts drastically. This company wanted to recycle all of their leftover foam scraps in a cost-effective way. Recycling foam planks had been a big issue, as shipping scrap foam usually cost more than the actual value of the foam being shipped.
An eco-friendly recycled sheet foam packaging option was offered to the company. This helped the company improve their foam production line in the future. By recycling, this company prevented 40,000 pallet loads of used foam from ending up in landfills. Recycled sheet foam improved their sustainability as a cost-effective solution.
Polystyrene (EPS) Foam Sustainable Truths
Despite what you might think, even polystyrene foam is eco-friendly. While this packaging foam is usually seen as a negative factor environmentally, it actually has a lot of eco-friendly benefits. Some of the ways this foam helps our environment is:
- Having an ultra-low carbon footprint
- Reducing fuel consumption due to its lightweight
- Protects and minimizes breakage and re-delivery during transit
- Expanded polystyrene is made up of 98% air, which makes it an efficient use of natural resources.
- When expanded, this foam is 100% recyclable. Every year this foam is recycled to make items like hangers, cameras, plastic decking, and even outdoor furniture.
- Due to technological advancements such as CAD, minimum waste occurs during the cutting phase. This means large amounts of scrap are not discarded and those that are can be recycled.
- When making polystyrene foam, water is reused several times and oil usage is kept to a minimum.
Going green in packaging is a trend that is not going away. Packaging itself produces a lot of waste, making green packaging a necessity. It is important to take notes of ways you can make changes in your workplace to become more eco-friendly in order to help the overall cause of a more sustainable future.