- Piggyback labels are made from combining two layers of adhesive substrate. The bottom layer forms the backing for the top. The label can be applied to any object as normal, the top layer can be a removable label that can be applied elsewhere, which may change the message or marking on the remaining label underneath. Often used on Express mail envelopes.
- Asset Labels / Tags are used for marking fixed and non-fixed assets. They are usually tamper-evident, permanent or frangible and usually contain a barcode for electronic identification using readers.
- Blockout labels are not see-through at all, concealing what lies underneath with a strong gray adhesive.
- Radioactive labels The use of radioactive isotopes of chemical elements, such as carbon-14, to allow the in vivo tracking of chemical compounds.
- Laser Labels are generally die cut on 8.5″ x 11″ sheets, and come in many different shapes, sizes, and materials. Laser label material is a nonporous stock made to withstand the intense heat of laser printers and copiers.
- Inkjet Labels are generally die cut on 8.5″ x 11″ sheets (US letter) and a4 size, and come in many different shapes, sizes, and materials. Inkjet label material is a porous stock made to accept ink and dye from your inkjet printer. One of the more modern inkjet label material stocks is waterproof printable inkjet material commonly used for soap or shower gel containers.
- Security Labels are used for Anti-counterfeiting, Brand protection, tamper-evident seals, etc. These combine a number of overt and covert features to make reproduction difficult. The use of security printing, Holography, Embossing, bar codes, RFID, custom printing, weak (or weakened) backings, etc. is common. They are used for authentication, theft reduction, and protection against counterfeit and are commonly used on ID cards, credit cards, packaging, and products from CDs to electronics to clothing.
- AntiMicrobial Labels With the growth in hospital acquired infections such as MRSA and E-Coli the use of Antimicrobial labels in infection sensitive areas of hospitals are helping in combating these types of microbes.
The labels can be obtained in labels materials for use in Thermal Transfer printers from most major manufacturers. There are a few specialized suppliers where samples of the material can be requested.