November 02, 2021
The following represent important criteria to consider when choosing a stretch film to meet your specific unitizing requirements.
Stretch Film Applications
- What is the required level of hold force retention?
- Will load require greater puncture resistance or tear resistance?
- Is load value high or low? Ex: High value loads may need to conceal contents. In this case you would need to use opaque black stretch film.
- Is shipping distance short or long and by what method?
- Storage conditions. Example: If Long term outside, may need UV stretch film.
- Does product require a specialty stretch film? Such as: UVI stretch films, VCI stretch films, heavy gauge films, roll wrap films, bundling film, banding film, wide web pallet wrap, vented stretch wrap, stretch wrap netting, pallet covers and top sheeting film, anti-static stretch wrap, etc.
Stretch Equipment & Operation
- Will packaging operations require a quiet unwind film machine film (ex: cast) or very high decibels of noise is tolerable (ex: blown)?
- Is higher production speed, stabler loads and cost efficiency important?
- Will film need to allow scanning of bar codes or reading of labels?
- What size and gauge of film is required?
The Stretch Wrapped Load
- What is the pallet /load profile (ex: height, weight)?
- What is the Load Stacking Pattern (ex: column, interlocked, mixed)
- Is the load profile type A, B or C?
Profile A: Has no irregularities
Profile B: Has protrusions up to 3 inches
Profile C: Has protrusions over 3 inches
Stretch Wrap Calculations
- Easily calculate stretch film roll weight, roll length and film thickness conversion (micron : gauge). See stretch gauge formula.
- Stretch film specifications for common machine film and hand wrap (microns per gauge, roll weights per gauge, case weights per gauge). See stretch film FAQs.
IPS Packaging is a leading provider of packaging supplies, packaging equipment and packaging solutions. If you would like to know more about IPS Packaging, call 800.277.7007 or contact our Sales team.